This year, we were not able come together with our retirees personally to recognize their many years of dedicated service and significant contributions to students, families and school communities in the Strait Region. We are celebrating and thanking them virtually by sharing their very deserving recognition and following message from Paul Landry, Regional Executive Director, Strait Regional Centre for Education:
On behalf of the Strait Regional Centre for Education, I sincerely thank our retirees of 2020 for the many contributions you have made to public education throughout your distinguished careers. I extend my deepest gratitude to you as you conclude one chapter of your life and begin the next exciting phase.
People who choose careers in the field of public education are more than just employees. Regardless of the position you hold, all retirees have had a tremendous impact on the lives of our students and families. Your commitment and leadership have played an important role in our students’ achievement and success. Your devotion to our students, your colleagues, our school communities, and to the public education system in the Strait Region as a whole has made a meaningful difference in our students’ lives, now and well into their future.
Although there have been many changes in public education over the years, one very important factor has remained constant. Students still rely on, and need the guidance, wisdom and support of you, our staff. There is no substitute for a competent, caring adult when it comes to helping our children and youth achieve their success. The students whose lives you have touched are making tremendous contributions to our communities, our province, our country and indeed the world, and you are in no small part responsible for their success. Thank you for being mentors and caregivers to our future leaders.
I extend to each of you my sincere congratulations and may good health and happiness be yours in your retirement years. You will indeed be missed.
Sincere best wishes to the SRCE retirees of 2020!
Regional Executive Director
Strait Regional Centre for Education
The honourees of 2020 are:
- Shelley Anderson, Teacher Assistant, Dr. John Hugh Gillis Regional High School
- Wes Anstey, Bus Driver, Antigonish Area
- George Baxter, Bus Driver, Antigonish Area
- Joan Bona, Executive Assistant to the Regional Executive Director
- Doreen Boudreau, Teacher Assistant, Fanning Education Centre/Canso Academy
- Raymonde Burke, Teacher Assistant, East Richmond Education Centre
- Lawrence Cameron, Teacher, Cape Breton Highlands Education Centre/Academy
- Phil Doucette, Teacher, St. Andrew Junior School
- Sherman England, Director of Operations
- Sadie Fee, Secretary, Whycocomagh Education Centre
- Danny Hart, Bus Driver, Chedabucto Education Centre/Guysborough Academy
- Diane Hoben, Teacher Assistant, SAERC
- Tammy Landry, Teacher, Antigonish Education Centre
- Sally LeBlanc, Teacher Assistant, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Carroll MacAdam, Bus Driver, Antigonish Area
- Sharon MacCuspic, Director of Programs and Student Services
- Peggy MacDonald, Cleaner, St. Andrews Consolidated School
- Donna Machin, Teacher, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Margaret MacKenzie, Teacher, Dr. John Hugh Gillis Regional High School
- Michelle MacMillan, Janitor, Dalbrae Academy
- Julie Murphy, Teacher Assistant, Inverness Education Centre/Academy
- Gary Pace, Janitor, Tamarac Education Centre
- Hubert Pettipas, Building Operator, Chedabucto Education Centre/Guysborough Academy
- Beverly (Bev) Pond, Janitor, Bayview Education Centre
- Judy Reeves, Janitor, St. Mary’s Education Centre/Academy
- Connie Sampson, Teacher, SAERC
- Nancy Samson, Teacher, Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- Ronda Stewart, Library Technician, St. Andrew Junior School
- Ann Marie VanBerkel, Secretary, Antigonish Education Centre