Pre-registration for students entering Grade Primary in both English and French Immersion for September 2021 is ongoing in the SRCE.
PLEASE NOTE THE AGE REQUIREMENT FOR ATTENDING GRADE PRIMARY:
Children who are five (5) years of age on or before December 31, 2021, are eligible to attend primary. Parents/guardians may take advantage of this opportunity for children to attend school or opt to wait an additional year before having their child start school. Parents/guardians are the best judges of whether their children are ready to start school.
- Registration is a two-step process:
- Complete the online pre-registration form located on the SRCE website at srce.ca.
- Complete the School Registration Form which may be accessed in the Document Depot section of the SRCE website and send the Form directly to the school via mail or email along with a copy of the child’s birth certificate, and provincial health card.
- French Immersion Program
- The French Immersion Program is available to all students in the Strait Region and is offered at the French Immersion School closest to your home. Schools that offer French Immersion include Antigonish Education Centre, Cape Breton Highlands Education Centre/Academy, East Richmond Education Centre, Felix Marchand Education Centre and Tamarac Education Centre. Please contact the Principal at these schools for more information on the French Immersion Program.
- In instances where existing regional centre transportation is not available, the parent/guardian is responsible to transport the student to and from the French Immersion School at no cost to the SRCE. Please contact the SRCE Transportation Department staff at 902-747-3645 to determine your eligibility to receive bus service.
- For the French Immersion Program only, in accordance with provincial class cap guidelines, the first 20 students pre-registered at each school will be accepted into the Program, and the remainder placed on a waiting list in the order which they pre-registered.
- When there are available primary spaces, families who live outside a school’s catchment area may apply to have their child attend a school out of catchment by submitting an Application for Transfer of Students within the Region Request Form located in the Document Depot of the SRCE website. Families must first pre-register at their local school prior to submitting a transfer request. The request will be considered in accordance with the provincial Class Cap Guidelines and/or if no additional transportation and staffing costs will be incurred to accommodate the request.
- For more information, please refer to the SRCE’s brochures, Starting Grade Primary: A Guide for Parents/Guardians and Early French Immersion, available in the Document Depot section of the SRCE website (www.srce.ca) or by contacting Regional Office.
Please direct any questions to the Programs and Student Services Department by calling 902-625-7083 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.