May 19, 2021
Dear SRCE Students, Families and Staff:
I want to provide an update on the status of at-home learning. Today, at the provincial news briefing, Dr. Strang and Premier Rankin announced an extension of the current provincial lockdown to at least the second week of June given current epidemiology.
They also announced that at-home learning will continue until the end of this school year.
While we were all hoping to return to classes this year, I am seeing, and hearing about, great examples of students and teachers very engaged in at-home learning and teaching. We will continue to build on this success in order to complete the school year.
As a reminder, please note the following:
- Last day of classes for Grades 9 to 12 students only will be Friday, June 11, 2021.
- Final assessment week for Grades 9 to 12 will be held June 14 to 18, 2021.
- Nova Scotia Virtual School (NSVS) final assessments will be held on Thursday, June 10, 2021.
- Classes for other grades will continue as scheduled.
- Supports for students available through school counsellors, SchoolPlus, specialists, reading recovery and the small group instruction that teachers have been using throughout this month will continue.
I know that at-home learning has been challenging. I want to thank students, families and staff for your support, enthusiasm and participation. I appreciate your understanding and patience during the third wave of the pandemic. We would prefer our students to be in-class with their friends and teachers. However, we also know that students and staff are making at-home learning work. Teachers have found creative ways to educate their students, and students have worked hard to stay engaged. I know this will continue.
Our commitment is that classes will continue until the end of the current school year. To review the plan for at-home learning, click here. Students will continue to be assessed on their performance by their teachers. For more information about assessment, please access https://www.ednet.ns.ca/learning_at_home. If you are looking for information about curriculum, physical activity, mental health or for technology support, click here.
I appreciate the challenges you may face, and I want to reinforce the supports available to students and families. You are not alone during these trying times. If your family needs support, please do not hesitate to reach out.
- If you have questions about learning or questions about support from specialized individuals like SpeechLanguage Pathologists, Student Support Workers, School Psychologists, Learning Support Teachers, please call or email your child’s teacher or the school principal.
- If you are unable to access food support from a local food program, emergency food supports are available. Please call 211 weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and speak to a navigator or send an email to email@example.com.
- The Homework Hub for Mathematics is now available to students in Grades 4 to 12, with extended hours and can be accessed through student gnspes accounts or by calling 1888-444-6607. Please refer to the curriculum site at https://curriculum.novascotia.ca/parentfamilyinformation.
- If you have questions about services and programs available to your family, our SchoolsPlus team is available to help. For contact information by school, please access the following link: SRCE SchoolsPlus Programs, Services and Supports.
More details will be shared in the coming weeks including information about graduation ceremonies.
Please continue to follow and respect all Public Health measures and protocols. By continuing to work together, we will ensure the remainder of our school year remains safe, positive and successful for our students.
With much appreciation,