It is hard to believe but winter weather has arrived. This is a good time for parents/guardians to review their backup plan with their children in the event that classes and/or bus routes are cancelled due to weather and/or road conditions.
Our preference is always to have our students in school. We recognize that parents/guardians are concerned when their children miss class time, and we share this concern. That is why our decision to cancel classes is not made lightly and is made with the safety of students and staff as the first priority.
The vast majority of our students are bused to school and our region covers a very large geographic area of 11,000 sq. km. Due to our large geographic region, it is very important that we gather information from many sources beginning very early in the morning, around 5:00 a.m., to enable us to make an informed decision and announce it prior to 6:30 a.m., to the degree possible, to help families plan accordingly.
The Decision-Making Process
The Strait Regional Centre for Education follows a comprehensive decision-making process and detailed procedures in regards to class and bus service cancellations. Our decision-making process includes consultations with, and a review of information from, the following:
- The SRCE Manager of Transportation and Director of Operations;
- Staff who personally travel on the roads very early in the morning evaluating road and weather conditions;
- Weather forecasting services including Environment Canada, WOOD Weather Information System, and The Weather Network;
- Local region contacts (school bus drivers);
- Neighbouring Regional Centres for Education;
- Provincial highway cameras;
- The Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal; and
- RCMP, if required.
There are six possible phases of cancellations:
Phase I: Cancellation of a Bus Run or Runs
Phase II: Cancellation of Bus Service on Unpaved Roads
Phase III: Cancellation of Classes due to Inclement Weather
Phase IV: Delayed Opening of Schools
Phase V: Early Dismissal: Predicted and Deteriorating Weather/Road Conditions During the Day
Phase VI: Partial or Complete System Shutdown/Schools and Buildings Closed
For specific details on each phase, please refer to our brochure,
View the Storm Day video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6hp_CjF68&feature=youtu.be.
How to Stay Informed
- Listen to local radio stations
- Access the SRCE website at https://srce.ca/content/cancellations-and-announcements
- Follow SRCE on Twitter @SRCE_NS
- Subscribe to receive class cancellation and/or bus route notices via email and/or text at https://srce.ca/content/stay-informed
- Transportation Staff: 902-747-3645; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Operations Centre Dispatch: 902-747-3642; 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Emergency Bussing Telephone Number: 902-747-3642; 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.