Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Further to a provincial announcement issued today, school gyms will gradually reopen to community groups for physical activity and sports.
The province is investing $5.5 million of federal funding from the Safe Return to Class Fund to hire additional cleaning staff, ensure access is contained to the appropriate area of the school and to ensure students come back to schools that have been cleaned in accordance with public health COVID-19 protocols following a school sporting activity.
You may access a complete copy of the news release at:
Effective today, community groups in the SRCE may begin submitting applications to access school gyms in the evenings, Monday to Friday, for bookings beginning Monday, November 16, 2020.
The following is a list of the school gyms that are now open for bookings. This list will be updated as additional schools become available.
- Antigonish Education Centre
- Bayview Education Centre
- Cape Breton Highlands Education Centre/Academy
- Chedabucto Education Centre/Guysborough Academy
- Dalbrae Academy
- Dr. J.H. Gillis Regional High School
- East Antigonish Education Centre/Academy
- East Richmond Education Centre
- Fanning Education Centre/Canso Academy
- Inverness Education Centre/Academy
- Richmond Education Centre/Academy
- St. Andrew Junior School
- St. Andrews Consolidated School
- St. Mary’s Education Centre/Academy
- Tamarac Education Centre
To ensure equitable access to facilities, rental fees are being waived for the 2020-2021 school year.
Community groups may access the application form for the use of SRCE facilities at the following link:
Please note the following additional information regarding community access to school gyms:
- Community access will be restricted to school gyms and washrooms.
- Those who access school gyms will be responsible for ensuring Sport Nova Scotia and public health COVID-19 guidelines are followed.
- There are no spectators permitted for any sporting events held in our schools.
- Following Nova Scotia’s Back to School Plan, only essential adults will be permitted in schools during community use. This includes players/participants, officials, coaches, instructors or anyone else who is required to be on or near the field of play.