The Strait Regional Centre for Education reminds everyone that school bus safety is a shared responsibility. The safe actions of all drivers help to ensure that our children and youth travel safely to and from school. Let’s all take extra care and time, and follow these important safety reminders:
- Slow down in school zones;
- Pay extra attention to children and youth waiting for the school bus or walking to and from school;
- NEVER pass a school bus when its red lights are flashing;
- Leave lots of space between your car and the school bus;
- Give yourself extra time to get where you are going;
- Be alert and aware at all times;
- Do not drive distracted;
- Watch for school crossing guards and obey their signals;
- Bus loops are for buses only. Please follow the posted signage; and
- Report any violations to the RCMP and SRCE Transportation staff.
Students, parents/guardians, motorists, school bus drivers, Regional Centre staff and our enforcement partners share the responsibility for school bus safety. By working together, we will ensure that the bus trip is a safe one.
For more information and resources related to school bus safety, please access the following links: