The 2021-2022 school start dates are:
School Orientation and Organization Day (staff only) Thursday, September 2, 2021
First Day for Children in Pre-primary Programs Thursday, September 2, 2021
Regional In-Service Day (Grade Primary to 12 staff only) Friday, September 3, 2021
First Day of Classes for Grade Primary to 12 Students Tuesday, September 7, 2021
School-Based Support Staff As notified by the Strait Regional Centre for Education.
Back to School 2021: Living with COVID-19
To ensure schools are as safe as possible, there will be core public health measures in place in all schools. These include:
- frequent hand washing and sanitizing. Children and students are required to wash their hands prior to boarding the bus and getting off the bus after school;
- cleaning of high-touch surfaces; and
- staying home if you are feeling sick. Families are required to monitor children daily for COVID-19 symptoms before sending them on the school bus and/or to school, and keep children home if they are ill. Please refer to the COVID-19 Daily Checklist.
As an additional layer of safety, all students, staff and visitors are required to wear masks inside schools and on school buses to start the year. We will transition away from mandatory masks once the province reaches Phase 5 of its re-opening plan. More information about Back to School and the related Public Health Measures for Schools is available online at https://novascotia.ca/backtoschool.
Transportation Busing Information
If you have a question about busing, bus stops or bus routes for the 2021-2022 school year, or would like to determine if your family is eligible to receive bus service, please contact Transportation Staff at 902-747-3645/1-800-650-4448.
Please note busing for all pre-primary children and Grade Primary to 12 students will begin on Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
School Bus Safety
The Strait Regional Centre for Education reminds everyone that school bus safety is a shared responsibility. Let’s all take extra care and time to do our part to make the start of 2021-2022 school year a safe and successful one by following these important safety reminders:
- Slow down and follow speed limits in school zones. The speed limit in school zones is 30 km/h in areas where the approaching limit is 50 km/h, when children are present. In school areas where the surrounding speed zone is higher, the speed limit is 50 km/h when children are present
- Pay extra attention to children and youth waiting for the school bus or walking to and from school;
- NEVER pass a school bus when its red lights are flashing;
- Leave lots of space between your car and the school bus;
- The safe actions of all drivers help to ensure that our children and youth travel safely to and from school. Children, students, parents/guardians, motorists, school bus drivers, Regional Centre staff and our enforcement partners share the responsibility for bus safety. By working together, we will ensure that the bus trip is a safe one.
- Give yourself extra time to get where you are going;
- Be alert and aware at all times;
- Do not drive distracted;
- Watch for school crossing guards and obey their signals;
- Bus loops are for buses only. Please follow the posted signage; and
- Report any violations to the RCMP and SRCE Transportation staff.